Here are my reflections:
What have I done well?
- Focused on small and consistent steps. Made sure to learn by building small pieces and gradually adding on to those pieces.
- Used tutorials when I needed to get started with new technologies.
- Learned from Free Code Camp and solved coding challenges at Code Wars.
- Used Google, documentation, Stack Overflow, Github to build my sites.
What would I have done differently?
- Try to put the pieces together better, i.e. make sure the AngularJS sites have the Bootstrap design features.
- Don’t be afraid to abandon Ruby on Rails especially if I dive more into AngularJS and want to synchronize with a database. If this were to happen, don’t hesitate to learn Node and the rest of the MEAN Stack.
- Build more basic sites where I learn and explain a concept, i.e. a coding problem, or a computer science concept like Closures.
Overall this has been a rewarding journey and I have learned, built, and shared much. I am especially proud to say that I have learned how to learn. If I have an idea, I know how to read Stack Overflow, blog posts, documentation, and if these do not yield a solution, I also know how to get help from Slack, IRC, or from Meetup members. I am eager to see where the rest of this journey will take me, and which concepts or technologies I might explore next…